Our Lady of Penha Church (Capela de Nossa Senhora da Penha, 西望洋聖堂), which is dedicated to ‘Our Lady of Penha of France’ , was constructed in 1622 for the Augustinians. For many years it has served as a shrine for mariners about to embark on dangerous voyages.
It stands on Penha Hill, overlooking Sai Van Lake. Its distinctive silhouette can be seen from the Macau Tower and the streets around the lake (and conversely – the church offers great views of the Tower and bridges over to Taipa).
Built originally for the Augustinians, it remained their property until 1837, when the Augustinians were expelled as as a consequence of the liberalism period in Portugal.
It, along with the Bishop’s residence alongside it, was reconstructed in 1837, and almost completely rebuilt again in 1935.
A pilgrimage takes place every year on 13th May. Beginning at St. Domingo Church – a procession passes through the streets of Macau, ending up at Penha Church. The procession is led by 3 children, dressed as the 3 children who saw the Virgin Mary in Portugal back in 1917.