Secret Macau

Beyond the Casinos

Tag: St Lawrence Parish (page 1 of 2)

Our Lady of Penha Church

Our Lady of Penha Church (Capela de Nossa Senhora da Penha, 西望洋聖堂), which is dedicated to ‘Our Lady of Penha of France’ , was constructed in 1622 for the Augustinians. For many years it has served as a shrine for mariners about to embark on dangerous voyages.

Continue reading

Sam Kai Vui Kun Temple

Sam Kai Vui Kun Temple (三街會館) is located not too far from Senado Square,near St Dominic’s Market (which used to be the old Chinese Bazaar area of the city).

Continue reading

Dom Pedro V Theatre

Dom Pedro V Theatre (Teatro Dom Pedro V, 伯多祿五世劇院was one of the first western style theatres in eastern Asia. It is situated in St Augustine’s Square (a short walk from Senado Square), where it is in good company standing alongside St Augustine’s Church, St Joseph’s Seminary and Church and the Sir Robert Hung Library.

Continue reading

St Augustine’s Square

St Augustine’s Square (Largo de Santo Agostinho) is a traditionally paved small square which lies close to Senado Square, and is surrounded by a number of buildings which form part of the Historic Centre of Macau: St Augustine Church, St Josephs Seminary and Church, Dom Pedro V Theatre and Sir Robert Ho Tung Library.

Continue reading

St. Augustine’s Church

St. Augustine’s Church (Igreja de St. Agostinho, 聖奧斯定堂) sits on the square which takes it’s name, alongside other historic buildings including Dom Pedro V Theatre, St. Joseph’s Seminary and Church and the Sir Robert Ho Tung Library.

Continue reading

Sir Robert Ho Tung Library

Sir Robert Ho Tung Library (Biblioteca Sir Robert Ho Tung, 何東圖書館is a public library located on the historic St Augustine’s Square.

Continue reading

Maritime Museum

The Maritime Museum (Museu Marítimo, 海事博物館) was opened in 1987, with spacious new exhibition hall added in 1990. The 3 level museum is dedicated to the maritime activities of Macau, Portugal and China.

Continue reading

Mandarin’s House

The Mandarin’s House (鄭家大屋) was the residence of the Qing theoretician and reformist, Zheng Guanying (1842-1921). Built largely in the Cantonese style, it is noted for its fusion of western architectural elements.

Continue reading

Lilau Square

Lilau Square (Largo do Lilau, 亞婆井前地) is a small square which sits in what was one of the first Portuguese residential areas in Macau. It has a relaxed, Mediterranean feel, which sits in contract to the typical Cantonese architecture of the Mandarin’s House complex which lies just around the corner, but at the same time also displays the fusion between the two styles.

Continue reading

Moorish Barracks

The Moorish Barracks (Edifício da Capitania dos Portos, 港務局大樓was built in 1874 in order to accommodate a regiment from Portuguese held Goa, India, who were brought over to reinforce Macau’s police force.

Continue reading

Older posts

© 2018 Secret Macau

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑